Living with PKD

In the fall of 2007, I was diagnosed with polycystic disease. It came as a complete shock to me because at the time I was diagnosed, I was going through in vitro fertilization, and taking tons of hormone medications for an upcoming egg retrieval. At this particular appointment, RT was out of town for work. I was already high-strung on all these hormones, so when Dr. Cao, my nephrologist, said in his heavily accented Chinese-English that I had PKD, I actually took it quite well. It was when I started making a follow-up appointment at the frantic front desk that I broke down and started crying hysterically. The receptionist looked at me like I was crazy, but was very sympathetic.
But, this is not a story about me. I'm sure my time will come when it comes to this disease. This story is about the most unselfish person that I know, whom I admire and love purely. This is about my mom.
About a year ago, RT and I noticed on some blood work that her kidney function was in the abnormal range. I remembered years ago that Mom had cysts on her kidneys and had had blood in her urine at some point. This prompted me to get her connected with Dr. Cao. I wanted to find out if she had PKD as well, and at the very least, find out why her kidney function was abnormal.
She had the blood work, the ultrasounds, and the appointments every 3 months. They found cysts, but Mom kept telling me everything was fine--until a few days ago.
Mom called me and said she just had her appointment with Dr. Cao. She told me she received "shocking" news. Dr. Cao said her kidney function was declining and that she needed to be put on a donor list right away for a transplant.
This actually did not come as a shock to me. Rather, I wondered, why did it take so long to find out? After talking to my sister who spoke with Dr. Cao to get the information that isn't always correctly disseminated from Mom, her overall kidney funtion from both kidneys is at an astonishing low 23%! I cannot believe how healthy Mom looks and that she doesn't have any physical symptoms like back pain or bloody urine.
Regardless, we go up to San Francisco for a consultation and begin the steps for the donor process. As this is starting to sink in, I just hope that I can be strong for my mom as she always has been for me.
You know when I was really sick, I often thought that I was the "lucky" one. I think it is much harder to be the one who has to worry and agonize over a loved one being sick. I've never had to be in this position, and it scares the hell out of me...

1 comment:

  1. T: I am so sorry to hear about your Mom's kidneys. I remember you telling me how you were concerned about her health a while ago. I know you will be a great support to her. Please let me know if you need anything, or just want to talk.

    ReplyDelete