Type A Personality



It really bugs me when people tell me that I'm uptight or that I need to relax. I know that I'm a perfectionist and that I like things a certain way. So why is that being uptight? I guess my daughter's recent behavior has put things in better perspective for me. Recently, my in-laws watched my daughter and her 3 year-old cousin at our house. Of course I was cleaning the house like a maniac before their out-of-town arrival.
Apparently her little cousin was acting like a typical toddler and grabbing things from her room. My daughter was getting so worried because he was "making a mess". She kept saying that her mom just cleaned everything and will get stressed out if there's a mess or something along those lines. I replayed in my head the words I told her as I was cleaning the other day always, "Ugh...P, I just cleaned that up. Could you not make a mess!"

Then, just the other day she came up with this list for us to work through on our day off. I'll interpret since she's just learning to read/write:
1. Park
2. Playtime
3. Lunch
4. Target
5. Chickens (feed)
6. Relax
Book (read to her)
Bedtime

I make to-do lists all the time and somehow she has picked up on this.
She had to make a to-do list for us to RELAX???

Conclusion: I need to dial it down! I realize that I cannot help being the way that I am but I certainly don't want to put the pressure on my daughter to be perfect. I hope that I can be more mindful of this and learn to let things go!

1 comment:

  1. So, were you talking about yourself or me just now? I feel like you just described me from the inside out�� Wow, I need to dial it down myself or the boyfriend is gonna run and any future kid will be seen as super uptight! Thanks for putting things in perspective... No wonder the 2 of us get along so well right? However, it isn't all bad, nothing wrong with teaching Penelope to have standards and maintain organization. Good to see you blogging again and someone still owes me a phone call, hmm, who might that be?...

    ReplyDelete