Fantastic Gymnastics, Or Not









P has been really excited to start her gymnastics class. We prepared all week, buying the leotards, trying them on, talking about it, while she danced around (although she was doing "ballet" moves, not tumbling around!). She knew her friend Kili was going to be there, so that seemed to get her even more excited.
We arrived at the gym, and she still seemed excited but her friend Kili was no where to be found. Class started and all the kids assembled around Miss Chloe and the other teacher. There were about 5 or 6 other kids. They were in a circle just stretching and were trying to invite P over. She wanted NOTHING to do with it. She wouldn't even go on the mat.
I tried bribing her, "I'll buy you anything you want if you go." Mother of the year moment, I know. No dice.
Another woman came over and invited P and I to sit with her closer next to the class. We did, but still not budging. Finally, Kili walks over. She appears confused as well seeing P there. Kili tries coaxing P over wondering why she's not joining in on all the fun! Finally, after a while, P starts to feel a little comfortable and starts to participate. Then, the class splits into two. She's now only with 4 kids. They start doing their tumbling, jumping, and having fun. I ask her if I can go by the fence outside the mat, "No problem, Mommy!"
Phew!
It was very different to see my child so intimidated like that. In most situations, she's very confident, at times bossy, and just not afraid. The only other time I have seen her like that was when we first started swim lessons, but she had Daddy with her at all times, so it was a bit different.
As I watched my child tumbling around, laughing, and not paying attention to Miss Chloe, I felt the twinges of  a heavy heart. My baby is really growing up. The independence is really amping up. This is the age where it seems the activities pick up (without Mommy or Daddy) and then there is preschool looming in a couple of months.
Well, it's safe to say that my child is hooked on gymnastics. We're officially enrolled once a week. And this begins the stage in my life where I become chauffeur and spectator. (I say this because we also enrolled in soccer for 8 weeks which will begin in two weeks). Maybe in a few years, I can just drop off while she does her thing and I can do something for me! Right now, I'm the crazy mom with the camera always clicking away, trying to savor the moment and capture it for eternity. Here's a video link to see P in action.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your thoughts & feelings...the photos of P are great, looks like she is loving it! But I understand and can relate to your heavy heart as you watch her grow up. It goes by so fast...glad you are capturing it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute video! It'll be awhile before you do the drop off and leave routine. I stayed T's practices but that all changed one M was born.

    ReplyDelete