Camping Trip

The Joad mobile in all her glory!
A partial view of Islay Creek campground.
RT with his fancy, deluxe kitchen!
No high chair, no problem!
We even had friends come visit!

Jannu did a great job alerting us of the raccoons!

This trip has been a long time in the making, even before the baby was born. When RT bought the VW bus, he had envisioned us taking camping trips. But, before that could happen, there was much he had to do to prep the bus, mainly getting a "z-bed" installed so we'd have a place to sleep. So, after two years, we took our maiden voyage and camped at Montana de Oro, not far from our house.
We wanted to go with the baby sooner, but other things seemed to get in the way. You know how that goes, when life gets in the way.
We were a little concerned--whether or not Little P would be alright. She actually held up like a champ! I think it's because I was with her the entire time, meaning, I couldn't put her in the playpen or the bouncer. It was either hold her or sit her really close by. She had such a good time and was in a great mood the whole time!
I felt bad because I wasn't much help. RT packed everything, unloaded it all, set everything up, and cooked!
For his birthday, he received lots of cash knowing that it would go towards his camp kitchen. He was very proud of that! I must say, it came in very handy. It's amazing what kind of camping gear is out there nowadays.
We didn't get settled into camp until very late Friday night. Then Saturday morning, RT had to lead an interpretive hike on reptiles for the Small Wilderness Area Preserve (SWAP) at the Elfin Forest. He didn't get through with that until early afternoon. (I cheated, and Little P and I hung out at the house while RT did this...sshhh...).
Back to the campsite and more fun! We had so much fun and thought it was a relatively easy kind of vacation, that we are planning another one in the works really soon! At the campground, we saw lots of families with young kids. All the kids were having so much fun---even our little one and Jannu. I'm sure all of us remember going camping when we were little, so we hope to instill some really strong memories for our Little P.
The one thing I regret not doing on this excursion was not busting out the s'mores! I know, rookie move. Oh well. I have saved them for next time. Until then, we'll see you 'round the campfire!

1 comment:

  1. I'm impressed! You've come a long way...camping with a little one is a big step! Good for you, and I'm glad you had fun. Maybe we can plan a trip together next summer...

    ReplyDelete