Ullambana Ceremony


Today RT and I traveled to L.A. to listen to my mother give a speech at her church, Rissho Kosei-Kai to celebrate the Ullambana Sutra, a practice that is the basis of the Obon ceremony in honor of one's ancestors which is still observed widely in Japan in August. A couple months ago, my mother was sitting at our house, writing out her speech and deep in thought. I was really surprised that my mom was going to participate in public speaking! So, I knew that I didn't want to miss this for anything.
When we got to the church, my mother was very happy to see us. My dad arrived in L.A. about the same time as we did. She didn't seem nervous at all. She introduced us to all her church friends, and they all were very happy and thankful that we made the long drive for my mother's support.
After a very long ceremony of chanting, the three presenters came up. I already knew before my mother started talking that I would be breaking down in tears. I had a feeling that my mom mentioned something about my ordeal with pancreatitis. Here's a clue: One woman, as soon as she was introduced to me asked, "How's your pancreas?"
Mom started out fine, but she looked over at me and her voice started to crack. We have a saying in our house that it is the Aoki (Mom's maiden name) gene that turns on the waterworks! I think her story really impacted a lot of people. She also went on to say how much the teachings of Buddha have really helped her become a better person, more happy, more peaceful, and more giving to others. She also expressed so much gratitude to her church and friends. And, yes, her entire speech was in Japanese but we had headphones to listen to the interpreter.
She did a wonderful job. I am so proud of her accomplishment! Way to go Mom! I even think you had Dad in tears, too!



No comments:

Post a Comment