What do you get when you cross a cookie with a cow?

An oreo cow, of course! When we drive through highway 152 through Pacheco Pass, I'm usually the passenger so I'm often either asleep or checking out the scenery. I have spotted these funny-looking cattle that are black with a wide band of white in the center. As soon as I saw one, I did a double-take because it was such an unusual sight. I mentioned it to RT, and he told me that when he was working on a project with Fish & Game in that area, they came across some ranchers who mentioned their cattle and called 'em oreo cows. These are a rare breed of Scottish beef cattle called Belted Galloways, or "Belties" that were introduced to the US in the '50s.
How appropriate...nothing goes better than oreos and milk (although these are beef cattle, so that's not entirely fitting). Interesting! If you're ever traveling through Pacheco Pass, if you're heading north, look to the left and you just might see an oreo cow!

No comments:

Post a Comment