Getting Back in the Game























































I am officially hired as a substitute teacher with SLO Coastal Unified. What??? I still have my “day job” working for The Land Conservancy, but I am slowly getting my feet wet again with teaching.
It’s been 5 years since I set foot in a classroom, so why the sudden change of heart? Well, lots of reasons, really. First of all, having a child without family close by and not being a stay-at-home-mom makes it difficult to juggle a work schedule. Now that our child is approaching school-age and witnessing a colleague at work trying to juggle her schedule with her children’s school schedule and a newborn, it seems to make more sense for me to go back to teaching and be on the same schedule as P. Ideally, I’d love to be able to teach at the same school where she is attending or vice versa.
Secondly, my husband has been so unhappy with his job. There’s really nothing out there for him in this area. The real issue is that we are reluctant for him to lose the benefits with Fish & Wildlife (namely the medical benefits with my health history!), so if I can get back to a school district with great bennies, then he can pursue something that will make him happier and less stressed out!
Lastly, if in the next couple of years, if there is a possibility of him teaching full-time at the college or maybe even pursuing a teaching credential for high school biology, then wouldn’t be awesome if WE ALL were on the same schedule and have summers off together???
There have been lots of “signs” that keep pointing me into the direction of teaching. Personality tests and strengths quizzes all say that teaching is an ideal field for me.  For whatever reason, I kept being drawn into what’s going on in the teaching realm. Maybe it was being around my daughter’s preschool and seeing all the creative and fun learning that they were doing. As I glanced around their bulletin boards and saw their lesson plan overview, I wondered how I would be as a teacher, now that I’m a parent and viewing it from the other side. I also talked to some teachers in this area, and they really encouraged me to apply. “They” like to hire teachers with experience. Try subbing first to get your foot in the door.
I had let my credential expire, now going on 2 years. I figured it would be pretty difficult to try to renew it, or at the very least, I’d have to take those newer comprehensive tests that new teachers have to pass these days. But, all I had to do was pay the $72 and I’m in like Flynn.
Then, I saw a job posting for SLOCUSD substitute teachers. They NEVER advertise for subs, as they have lots of overqualified folks applying for sub jobs. But, I threw in my application (baby steps), got a call for an interview last week and they hired me on the spot! Crazy thing is that I’ve been waiting for sub jobs but there aren’t any!! My work is being really flexible and basically allowing me to sub and make up my days on the weekend.

So, this is where it stands. Hopefully, something will pan out. I am excited to go back to teaching. It’ll be interesting once I do get a sub job, how that will go and if I will still feel excited about going back. 


No comments:

Post a Comment