Breeding Season with the E-Seals

My parents returned from their trip to visit my sister in Florida. Mom, Dad, and nephew came for an impromptu visit. They hadn't seen the elephant seals since 2006--when my Florida sister was visiting us. What a coincidence! Anyhow, we didn't make it in time to see any live births, but we did see a long stretch of the beach where hundreds of elephant seals lazed about with their harem and newborn pups! We saw one female that had some residual blood on her, so I'm sure she must've birthed a pup not too long ago. Oh well!
I don't really know whether Miss P was looking at the seals or all the people along the boardwalk. It's so amazing to see how big the males can get. It's also quite fascinating to see the bulls establishing their dominance or see them "threaten" the other bulls. Males and their machismo! They're the same no matter the species!

No comments:

Post a Comment