February Is Not Starting Off Like Love & Rockets


We're feeling blue...
I think I celebrated too prematurely thinking that we bypassed the flu season this year. Last week, Miss P had double ear infections, and we thought she was on the mend. Then, this past Tuesday, she came home acting perfectly fine. I fed her, bathed her, and we settled down to go to sleep when all of sudden, she starts vomiting--projectile vomiting! All the colors of the night's dinner came gushing out. Poor, poor baby. We had heard at daycare that some of the parents and even the daycare provider were struck with some strange stomach thing over the weekend.
After we cleaned her up, I was holding her and again the projectile vomiting resumed, but this time it was all over me! Oh well. We were so worried and knew that she just had to get through it, and that there was nothing for us to do. I felt so bad for her and my heart ached for what she was going through. It was a long night, but luckily she was able to finally sleep around midnight or so. To this day, she is still recuperating.
The story doesn't end there. This past Thursday, RT came home from work early. He's not feeling well. All of sudden, he starts vomiting and also has diarrhea every half hour or so for about 4 hours straight. I had no idea he was that sick at first. So, I took care of P while he was miserable.
Then, around 6 in the evening, I start to feel funny, but I think I'm imagining it. Then all of a sudden, I start vomiting. It seemed that it would never end. After 4 hours of this, RT tells me, "You've hit the 4-hour mark. It should subside." But, as always, I'm the lucky one. I vomit for 8 hours straight and my intervals are 20 minutes apart! It was brutal. I know that I was reduced to tears and begging for my mother at one point. I've never been that sick (sans pancreatitis!) like that before!
My poor husband was still sick, but of the two of us, he was in vomiting remission, so he had to take over baby duties. He even managed to take her to the ER (yes, again, a different story and she was fine) at midnight! We went through the RINGER that night. It took us a good 2 days to recover. I shaved off 7 lbs. of body fluid that night.
I really hope that this is the last of the flu season, and I hope that I do not have that kind of flu ever again.

No comments:

Post a Comment